IDEA 2004 defines an Assistive Technology device as "any item, piece of equipment, or product system - whether acquired commercially off the shelf, modified, or customized - that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of a child with a disability." An Assistive Technology Service is defined as "any service that directly assists a child with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device."
The Assistive Technology Specialist is available to provide staff development and technical assistance to districts in Region 3 in the areas of AT consideration, evaluation, and implementation. We can also provide information on current assistive technology devices and software appropriate for children with disabilities.
- Texas Assistive Technology Network
- National Center on Accessible Instructional Materials
- Texas Assistive Technology Network Online Training Modules
- AT Internet Modules
- Assistive Technology Industry Association
- Center for Implementing Technology in Education
- Center for Applied Special Technology (CAST)
- National Center on Universal Design for Learning (UDL)