STEM Academy for K-5
STEM is a method of hands on teaching and learning where students use Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math coupled with real-world lessons to make connections between school, community, work and the global issues. STEM helps students to use innovative design-based thinking to solve real-world problems that better prepare student for the future.
Texas is expected to have the second highest percentage of the nation’s future STEM Job opportunities. Join this academy to gain resources and receive support on developing forward thinking problem solvers in the classroom. Trade books will be used to support RLA through the use of expository text.
Services Provided to Participating Districts/Campuses:
- Each participant will receive a copy of Picture-Perfect STEM Lessons: Using Children’s Books to Inspire STEM Learning by Emily Morgan and Karen Ansberry.
- Five Professional development days - 2 in September, 1 day each in November, January, and March (Actively participate in lessons from the book in preparation for classroom use)
- 4 supporting trade books to supplement selected STEM activities
- Collaboration of STEM Activities with cohorts
- 1 field trip to a STEM program in Region 3
- Blending learning opportunities through Zoom meetings following classroom implementation.
K-5th grade teacher - $950 per slot