Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) teaches students to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions. (CASEL)
Education has focused heavily on academic performance that many students enter the workforce without the necessary social and emotional life skills to be successful in an increasingly complex and diverse world. While many employers have expressed concerns that recent graduates are not prepared for today's workplace, today's educators have been concerned about the increasing educational impact developmental experiences have on students' social and emotional resilience.
Understanding and developing social and emotional skills are components of formal education.
- TEA Building Skills Related to Managing Emotions, Establishing and Maintaining Positive Relationships, and Responsible Decision-Making
- Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL)
- Brain POP Social Emotional Learning
- Leader in Me
- Alliance for Decision Education - Mindful Awareness
- SCHOOL: Smiling Calm Hearts Open Our Learning (Yoga and Mindfulness)
- Mission Be Parent Mindfulness Workshop
- Mindful Schools (including free mindfulness classes for kids)